Frequently Asked Questions

Emergency Contact Information 
It is the parents’ responsibility to make sure the school has up-to-date emergency contact information.  If your phone numbers change, or if an emergency contact person is no longer available to pick up your child in the event of an emergency (and the parents cannot be contacted), you must advise the school.

Your child’s safety is of utmost importance to us.  Having current phone numbers and contact information allows us to properly care for your child.

Cell Phones / Calling Home
Students are not permitted to use cell phones in the school during instructional time except for learning purposes directed by a teacher.  Students may use their phones before or after school.  Cell phones used inappropriately will be taken away and returned at the end of the day.

If a child needs to call home, we ask that he/she gets permission from the teacher, and uses the office phone to call home.

Please note that we discourage the use of school phones to set up after school “play dates”.  These arrangements must be made with parents in the morning before the child comes to school.

Leaving School Grounds
Students are not permitted to leave the school grounds during the lunch hour to purchase lunch from local vendors, unless they are accompanied by an adult.  A note from parents allowing students to do so will be accepted for special circumstances only.

Students are welcome to go home for lunch, with a permission note to the teacher.

If you have plans to move, but your child will continue to attend Inman, please advise the office of your new address.  We will require two new pieces of proof of residence.  Please contact the office for details (604.296.9016).  Please note that your child’s enrollment at the school will not be affected if you move (even if your new address is out of catchment).

If you have plans to move and you will be registering your child at another school, please call the office and advise us of the expected date of withdrawal, and the name of the new school.

Absent / Late
Inman School, like all other elementary schools in Burnaby, has the “safe arrival program”.  This means that if a child is marked absent, but the office has not received a telephone call from the parent advising of the absence/tardiness, a phone call home will be made to ensure the child is safe.

If your child will be absent or late, please call the school office at 604.296.9016 and press 2 to leave a message on the absence line. No doctor note is required.

If your child is late, they go directly to their classroom and enter through their outside classroom door when they arrive at school.

Please call the office and leave a message on the absence line, even if you have already advised the teacher, so that we do not bother you at home.

Vacation / Extended Absence
If your child will be absent from school for an extended period of time, i.e. for vacation, you will need to fill out an “Extended Absence Form”. We will need to know the date your child will be leaving, and the date he/she is expected to return to school.

After School Programs
At Inman we have after-school programs, such as Burnaby Parks & Recreation programs.

Parents need to inform their children when they have been registered for these programs, and remind the child the morning of the program that he/she will be attending that program.  At the end of the school day, children go on their own to the gym, staffroom or library where the program is being run.

We understand that if you have a young child you may be anxious about making sure the child gets to his/her program location.  You are welcome to come to the school at 3:00 and walk your child to the gym, etc. the first or second time.  After that, most children are capable of going independently.  Children know the school very well!

Speaking With the Teacher
You may speak to your child’s classroom teacher at any time during the year.  If you have a quick question, the teacher may be able to return your call within the day (either at recess, lunch or after school – teachers cannot leave students during instructional time).  If you require more time, then a meeting needs to be set up.  Simply email your child’s classroom teacher to set up a meeting outside instructional time.